Sunday 22 December 2013

My Bret Hart Experience

On Saturday December 9th, I had the opportunity to meet one of my hero's- the Legendary Bret "the Hitman" Hart.  Bret Hart is from Calgary Alberta, and is a former World Wrestling Entertainment Champion, a number one best selling author, and in 2004 was ranked one of CBC's top 50 Canadians.  Bret has also explored other area's of entertainment, starring in ‘Aladdin the Magical Family Musical’, as well as work writing autobiographies and even a romantic novel.  Yet, he still has a legends contract with the WWE(World Wrestling Entertainment) and makes TV appearances occasionally.

I have been a wrestling fan as long as I can remember-  the athletics, comedy, and drama all in one manly package.  When I heard that Bret Hart was coming to Ottawa, I had to try and meet him.  I informed my mother who has a contact at the March of Dimes (http://www.marchofdimes.ca ) an organization that supports independence, personal empowerment, and community participation for people with disabilities.  And oh yea, Bret Hart just happens to be an ambassador for the March of dimes.  So, they got in touch with Bret and arranged a visit for that Saturday Morning.  I could not believe it, "the Best there is, the Best there was, and the Best there ever will be" was coming to my place.  He was going to be in my room.   I could not be happier.

Eventually Saturday Morning came along.  I was so thrilled-  it seemed to take forever for the day to arrive.  I had Bret's theme music cued and ready to play for the moment he walked through the door.   When I heard him walking down the hall,  I started the theme music.
And then Bam!  There he was, Bret "The Hitman" Hart,  leather jacket and all.  I started to shake with excitement, as he came over to speak with me.  He was larger then life, yet at the same time, very soft spoken and down to earth.  He sat down in the chair beside me and pulled out a pair of the legendary pink Bret Hart sunglasses, which he then signed and put on me.  I felt like a member of the 'Hart Foundation', a wrestling faction which included his late brother Owen and his two brothers-in-law, the Jim 'the Anvil' Neidhart, and the late 'British Bulldog'.  Bret signed a couple of DVDs I had in my collection focussing on his career and life, as well as my copy of his auto-biography called 'Hitman'.  We chatted for a bit, and then decided to go out and say hello to the other people in the residence.  

Bret seemed happy to meet everyone, and genuinely interested in bringing a smile to everyones face.  And that he did.  His visit wasn't long, around 30minutes, but it left a lasting impression on me.  I started writing more.  I want to grow the audience of, and attend to my blogs on a more regular basis. (http://thehockeyambassador.blogspot.ca/  &  www.facebook.com/TheSpiritOfMondayNightWar)


Simple visits like this are so important.  They have the capacity to not only make a persons day, but bring about a lasting change for individuals who feel inspired. 



No comments:

Post a Comment